Monday, September 24, 2007

Spiders!

Most people who know me, know also that I have this...'thing' about spiders. I really can handle the visible ones, its just the few that sneak up on me that make me scream like a, well...a girl!

But yes, spiders. I have discovered a new sort of thing to fear about these eight-legged horrors and I get to thank my little girl for this one. Being only a year of age, she really doesn't have any irrational fear of these diminutive arachnids and finds them absolutely fascinating! Good for her, doubly bad for me.

So this tale begins with mommy sitting at her computer, quite ignorantly typing away at her latest story, oblivious to what might possibly have her baby's attention so enthralled right(!) beside her. I'm obviously not worried either because my little girl is right beside me, which means I can grab at her quickly if I think she's getting into something she shouldn't, but at this particular place and time, I know there's nothing nearby for her to mess up. So I'm typing, typing and eventually, I glance over just in time to see her pull a leg off of a rather anguished daddy long-leg and - stick it in her mouth!!!!

I think a horrified expression crossed my face, which actually stopped my baby girl and made her stare at me as if I were insane. I then jumped up from the computer chair, danced around for a moment trying to decide if I could work up the nerve to pull the unfortunate little arachnid from my child's hands or just run away gagging. Anyway, after releasing a small squeal, I garnered the attention of my husband in the back of the house and he made his suspicious way out into the kitchen to come to my rescue.

I should like to say that my baby girl derived a great deal of amusement from this whole ordeal though she certainly did look at me strangely. Unfortunately, the little spider-fiend now has me worrying about the next arachnid she might get her hands on. I guess I'm just glad that it was a considerably harmless spider.

Much to my relief, by the end of this debacle, the unfortunate spider died of natural(?) causes and had to be flushed.

No comments: